Pregnancy is the most miraculous phase in a woman’s life. The feel of another life growing inside her is special. It feels all the more magical if it has been achieved after long struggle, with the help of IVF treatment in Delhi. Every day brings a new experience as the fetus changes from a mass of cells to a full-grown baby ready to come into the world. The normal gestation period lasts nearly 40 weeks, though some women can deliver before while others can go overdue.
Medically, this period is divided into three trimesters of three months each. Each of the pregnancy trimesters differs in terms of symptoms and physical growth of the baby. The would-be mother should be aware of these so that she knows what to expect. Awareness also helps her to perceive anything abnormal so that she can get medical help if necessary. IVF centres in Delhi wants patients to be well informed about these trimesters. Let us try and understand pregnancy trimester wise.
The First Trimester: The beginning of the miracle
The first trimester refers to the first three months of gestation, from week 0 to 12. IVF centres in Delhi regard it as a critical stage. Technically speaking, the woman is not even pregnant for the first two weeks as this is the time when fertilization is taking place. This is the time when the fertilized egg rapidly undergoes cell division and forms a blastocyst. The blastocyst travels to the uterus and implants itself to the uterine wall. This is the first stage of pregnancy and may be accompanied by implantation bleeding in some women. The process is same whether the pregnancy is natural or the result of IVF treatment in Delhi. Here is what a woman should expect during this time:
- The uterus, which is the size of a fist, grows to the size of a grapefruit. It can be felt rising in the pelvis.
- The fetus reaches the size of 1 inch by the ninth week and has ears, toes and fingers by the end of the trimester.
- She can move her eyes though the eyelids are still fused. Fine hair covers her body by now.
- This is the time when the baby’s muscles are growing.
- The pregnant woman gradually gains weight. Her heart works faster to support the growing fetus.
- Morning sickness is the worst part of the first trimester. It happens due to hormonal changes and is experienced by most women. Generally, the problem is resolved by the end of the first trimester though some women may experience it later too.
The first trimester is crucial because it is the time when the woman hangs between disbelief and certainty. There are doubts at the initial stage, till the IVF centres in Delhi confirm a positive result. Also, the chances of miscarriage are high during this phase. This is the time when she needs to be extra watchful as the fetus is still in the embryonic phase. During this phase, it is vulnerable to damage by radiation, alcohol, smoking, and medications.
The Second Trimester: It feels real now!
The second trimester is between 13 weeks and 24 weeks of gestation. Now, the pregnancy feels real as the fetus moves for the first time. Women who have conceived after IVF treatment in Delhi are likely to await this moment with greater excitement. This happens during the 16th week in most women, though some can experience it at the 18th week. The early pregnancy symptoms such as morning sickness and nausea are alleviated by this time. The risk of miscarriage goes down too and the woman feels much more comfortable as her body adjusts to the changes. The IVF centres in Delhi want women to be watchful about the following changes at this stage:
- The expectant mother rapidly gains weight during the second trimester, at the rate of 0.5 kg per week.
- The uterus grows in size too, reaching nearly 5 cm above the pelvis.
- The fetus too puts on weight and grows. It reaches the size of 10 inches and weight of about 1.5 pounds by the end of the second trimester.
- The baby develops an acute sense of hearing and can identify the mother’s voice.
- She is fully formed during this time, with recognizable facial features and sex organs. The lungs are still in developing stages.
- Bloating and constipation are common symptoms during this face. Also, the woman starts experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions which prepare the uterus for labor.
IVF centres in Delhi advice women to take good care as their pregnancies advance. They should go for regular checkups and tests so that complications like gestational diabetes and hypertension are identified timely. Symptoms such as fever, vaginal bleeding, blurred vision, and swelling of face, hands, and feet warrant immediate medical attention. These can be the indication of premature labor, which is dangerous for both, the mother and the baby.
The Third Trimester- Waiting for the big moment!!
The third trimester is crucial, whether the pregnancy is natural or conceived with IVF treatment in Delhi. Week 25 to 40 signifies the third trimester of the pregnancy. Though the discomfort is increasing, yet this period brings the excitement of the upcoming event. This is the trimester when the baby grows faster than before. The mother is likely to feel breathless as the growing baby exerts pressure on her pelvis. This is what happens in the third trimester, as explained by IVF centres in Delhi:
- The fetal movements become well-defined though the space is cramped now. As the third trimester approaches its end, the baby’s head drops in the pelvis, just on the top of the cervix.
- The baby grows to about 35 cm in length and her weight reaches nearly 2.7 to 3 kg. She can open her eyes now and is fully developed.
- The woman’s breasts grow in size and start secreting colostrum.
- It becomes difficult for a woman to move around and even find a comfortable sleeping position. Indigestion, insomnia, acidity, and fatigue are experienced by the woman.
Regular antenatal visits at the IVF centres in Delhi are a must at this stage. The woman may go into labor anytime between 37 and 40 weeks. Symptoms such as rupture of water bag, vaginal bleeding, and periodic contractions are the telltale signs of impending labor. The last days of the pregnancy are physically challenging but the woman should not stress out at this time; rather she should consider these as moments to cherish.
Gaudium IVF is one of the best IVF clinics where patients can avail a range of assisted reproductive techniques, such as IVF, IUI, ICSI, and more, at an affordable cost. It also offers gynecological care, counseling and support.
Contact for a free second opinion from Dr Manika Khanna, the leading IVF specialist in India.