Laparoscopy for Infertility by Award-winning Laparoscopic Surgeon Dr. Manika Khanna
Laparoscopy is the name given to a minimally-invasive procedure used for viewing and repairing the abdominal and reproductive organs. In contrast to open surgery, laparoscopy enables your doctor to visualize the pelvic region through a fibre-optic camera attached to a thin tube. The device is inserted into the abdomen through a tiny incision and transmits images onto a television screen, thus eliminating the need for large cuts.
In the treatment of infertility, laparoscopy is used for both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Both diagnostic and operative laparoscopic procedures are performed under general anaesthesia.
The purpose of a diagnostic laparoscopic procedure in fertility treatment is to gain a clear view of the reproductive organs to check for unwanted growths such as cysts, scar tissue, adhesions and fibroids. Laparoscopy is generally the final step in the diagnosis of infertility and may be used to:
- Check for tubal blockage
- Identify the cause of pelvic pain
- Evaluate the ovaries for cysts or adhesions
- Check for endometrial growth in the pelvic area
- Inspect the uterus for fibroids
Operative laparoscopy is used to micro-surgically repair the reproductive organs. Three to four incisions are made on the abdomen through which the laparoscope and ultrafine surgical instruments are inserted to repair and reconstruct the affected area.
Laparoscopic corrective surgery is used for:
- Removal of scar tissue in moderate to severe endometriosis
- Removing ovarian tumors and cysts and for reconstruction of the ovary
- Treating fallopian tube blockage
- Removing uterine fibroids and for reconstructing the uterus
- Diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy in the fallopian tube)
- Removing pelvic adhesions
- Hysterectomy (surgical removal of uterus)
- Varicocelectomy (varicocele repair surgery for men)
Advantages of Laparoscopic surgery over open/invasive surgery:
- Smaller cuts or incisions
- Minimal blood loss
- Less postoperative discomfort
- Faster recovery
Most laparoscopic surgeries are outpatient procedures that do not require overnight hospital stay. The patient can return home the same day and resume their activities in one to two days.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Manika, the finest Laparoscopic Surgeon & Infertility Specialist in Delhi with latest know-how in diagnostic and corrective laparascopy, please call +91-11-48 85 85 85 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org