What are you supposed to feel after an IVF session? What are the symptoms after IVF? Are cramps, fatigue a sign of a successful IVF session? These apprehensions are bound to arise in IVFers because IVF is a life-changing point in the life of a couple who had given up on the hope of having a baby.
What are the symptoms after the embryo transfer?
The final stage of IVF is when the embryo is transferred to the uterus, and then the wait begins, which might be strenuous, but you have to ensure that you take it lightly and don’t over-stress yourself.
You will have to wait for at least two weeks before you can take the pregnancy test. Symptoms after IVF are:
- Cramps are experienced because your body gets in the preparation mode for pregnancy. However, if these persist, talk to the doctor immediately.
- Bloating is triggered by progesterone hormone.
- Mood swings are a result of hormonal changes, and getting irritated or depressed is very common.
- Tender breasts and change in the size of the breasts is a symptom after fertilization.
- Mild spotting is also called implantation bleeding and can occur before you take the pregnancy test.
- Fatigue or back pain is a result of your body getting prepared for pregnancy.
- Nausea is caused due to hormonal changes.
- Sensitivity to smell is triggered by estrogen which sensitizes the nostrils, and even the faintest odor can trouble you.
- An increase in the basal body temperature up to one degree is a symptom after embryo Basal temperature is the temperature of your body when it is in a relaxed state.
- Constipation is common in women during pregnancy, and it is one of the symptoms after IVF. To overcome this, eat a fibrous diet and drink plenty of water.
- Frequent urination is a result of the pregnancy hormone HCG, which comes in action within 10-14 days after embryo transfer. Blood flow to the kidneys increases so that the waste gets flushed out from the body and thus increases the urge to use the washroom often.
- Food aversions, which might result in strange cravings and sudden distance from your favorite dishes, are normal.
Symptoms after IVF 3 day transfer or 5 day or 6-day transfer remain the same, and which is the ideal day for you will be decided by your doctor. Embryos that are implanted at the blastocyst stage (stage 5) have better chances of pregnancy, though this is not a strict norm and varies from woman to woman.
You will be required to consult your doctor if there is :
- Heavy vaginal bleeding
- Blood in the urine
- Pain in the pelvic region
- Fever of more than 38 degree Celsius
Understand the symptoms after fertilization, and don’t rush to take the pregnancy test lest you should end up being disappointed because, at times, home pregnancy tests don’t give immediate results. Patience is the key, and talking to the doctor is the ultimate resort.