The PCOD problem in women has been on the rise, and more than 1 million cases are reported every year in India. Getting pregnant is every woman’s desire, but those suffering from PCOD problem find it hard to conceive. Thus PCOD must be understood for a healthy you.
What is PCOD?
Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a condition in which there is a hormonal imbalance in the woman’s body. The hormonal disorder is associated with:
- Imbalance in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in which estrogen has the upper hand because of which there are irregularities in menses, risk of breast cancer, chances of infertility and higher chances of endometrium.
- High levels of testosterone in the body because of which acne and facial hair growth are seen.
- Resistance to insulin which results in obesity.
Understanding the symptoms of PCOD can help women. Symptoms of PCOD are:
- Irregular periods
- Acne and facial growth
- Pigmentation around the neck
- Increase in weight
- Pain in the pelvic region
- Difficulty in conceiving
Treatment of PCOD
PCOD is a condition that doesn’t have a sure shot cure, and it is only the change in lifestyle with some medications which can help in treating the problem.
- Weight loss is the first step in the treatment of PCOD. Talk to the gynecologist, dietician, endocrinologist and infertility expert who will guide you regarding your diet and how should you work towards weight reduction.
- Medications to restore hormonal balance are given, which can help in regularizing the periods and reducing pigmentation and acne.
- In case you have been trying for a baby, and because of PCOD pregnancy hasn’t happened, fertility drugs are given by the doctors.
PCOS and Pregnancy
The early warning sign when you have been trying to conceive and haven’t been able to do so is that you might be suffering from PCOS, which makes pregnancy difficult because of the male hormones which are released, which prevent ovulation.
PCOS and pregnancy don’t go hand in hand because of the complications like:
- Premature birth
- Diabetes and high blood pressure during pregnancy
Though risk in pregnancy is high, it doesn’t mean that pregnancy doesn’t happen, and you don’t deliver a healthy baby. Pregnancy chances with PCOS can increase if you:
- Lose weight: It is recommended that a 5% loss in weight is also an indicator that pregnancy might happen.
- Check your diet
- Keep a track on the ovulation period and have intercourse during that time
- Exercise well.
PCOS and pregnancy success rate can be achieved through IVF and other fertility treatments if you have not been able to conceive naturally. It has been found that people with PCOS can get pregnant and deliver a baby once in their lifetime. Thus, PCOS is one of the reasons which can make pregnancy difficult, but the possibility of getting pregnant is there, which needs a strict regime and a healthy body weight.
Gaudium IVF Centre one of the best IVF centre in Delhi, India where patients can avail of end-to-end infertility solutions at low EMI cost. The clinic has a team of infertility experts and qualified embryologists to ensure the highest IVF success rate.
For an Appointment with Gynecologist & IVF Specialist, Call on +91 – 8527858585 / 011-48858585 or write a mail at email@example.com.