Fungal or bacterial infections anywhere in the body need immediate treatment, and so is the case with uterus infections, which should be treated at the earliest.
Meaning of Uterus
The uterus is the home for the baby before he/she comes into the world. Your offspring is conceived in the uterus and grows there until delivery. Any unnatural pain in the uterus needs immediate attention, for it might lead to something serious.
Uterine Infections occur when the tissues around the uterus get infected and become swollen, which causes discomfort to the woman. Uterine infections include:
- Endometritis (infection of the uterine lining) which is caused due to Chlamydia, gonorrhea or tuberculosis
- Myometritis (Infection of uterine muscle)
- Parametritis (Infection in the area around the uterus)
At times, postpartum uterus infection can be cumbersome, and it gets developed because of:
- Caesarean Delivery
- Prolonged labor pain
- Repetitive vaginal examinations during delivery
- If some fragments of placenta remain in the uterus after delivery
- Excessive bleeding after delivery
- Delay of more than 18 hours between rupture of membranes and delivery
Uterus Infection Symptoms are:
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the abdomen and pelvic area
- Fever of more than 3 days after delivery
- Foul-smelling discharge from the vagina
- Rapid heart rate
At times, the complications might be grave and can include the following:
- Pus (Abscess)in the pelvis
- The septic shock which is the result of high levels of toxins produced by infectious bacteria
- When arteries get blocked as a blood clot travels to the lung
- Pelvic veins have blood clots
- Membranes lining the abdomen are swollen
Uterus Infection Treatment:
Uterus infection treatment should be done as soon as the symptoms are identified to avoid any complexities:
- The doctors conduct a physical examination of the patients and send the urine sample for culture to find if any bacteria are there.
- Antibiotics (clindamycin and gentamicin) are given intravenously till women have not had a fever for 48 hours
At times your doctor might say that your uterus is anteverted which means that the uterus tilts forward at your cervix. Most of the time, you won’t feel any symptom, and it doesn’t pose any threat. But if you experience unusual pain or pressure in the pelvis, it must be reported to the doctor.
The uterus can come in varied shapes and sizes and don’t affect the ability of the sperm to reach the eggs for fertilization. Thus anteverted uterus is no threat to fertility.
Your uterus is responsible for reproduction and thus it needs to be healthy and free from any bacterial or fungal infection. If you experience any uneasiness consult your doctor and get the treatment started.