Do you know, your morning cup of coffee can actually play havoc on your fertility levels? Caffeine is known to have adverse effects on the ability to conceive and nurture the baby. So, if you are planning to get pregnant, making good diet and lifestyle choices must be on the top of your priority list. Drinking coffee might be your favorite ritual but according to experts at the best IVF clinic in India caffeine does no good to anybody. The dangers it poses to one’s fertility and conception abilities is a topic that needs to be explored seriously and thoroughly.
Why caffeine is bad for your Fertility?
Caffeine is considered the worst food choice for couples who are either trying to or are already pregnant because of the following reasons:
- Caffeine interferes in the absorption of iron in the body which is important for those trying to conceive as its low amount can hamper ovulation.
- In women, more than 150mg of caffeine consumption in a day leads to a higher production of Estrogen in the body resulting in reproductive disorders and infertility.
- Caffeine consumption after conceiving is a big NO as it may lead to a miscarriage.
- Since it is a diuretic, it may flush out the necessary nutrients needed for conception and lower the chances of pregnancy.
- It is bad for the body’s adrenal glands which produce sex hormones.
- It decreases the amount of calcium in the body which helps in strengthening the bones of the mother and the baby.
- It can harm the DNA of the sperm leading to birth defects in the child..
- Caffeine spikes the insulin levels in the body and therefore there is a drop in the sperm count in men.
- It also decreases the sperm motility which hinders fertilis
What all Food products contain Caffeine?
Tea and coffee are the two most popular food products that are loaded with caffeine. Apart from these two, there are other food options as well which are needed to be restricted, these are:
- Soft drinks
- Energy drinks
Also before buying any food product, it is advisable to check the labels for caffeine content in it.
What is the right amount of Caffeine consumption?
“For men, 250 gm of caffeine in a day is ideal whereas for women it should not be more than 150mg,” says Dr. Manika Khanna, the founder of Gaudium IVF.
Always follow the advice of the doctor on the right amount of caffeine intake when trying to conceive. Although, it might get difficult for some to cut out on caffeine consumption completely, so they can start with reducing the usual amounts and increase their chances of a successful pregnancy.
Gaudium IVF is one of the top IVF centre in Delhi known for its advanced and affordable treatments in infertility, gynaecology and obstetrics.
Contact today for a free consultation and expert advice from the leading IVF specialist in Delhi, Dr. Manika Khanna.