Feeling the first touch of your baby completes your world and nothing means more important to you post that. The day you discover you are pregnant, you start weaving your dream world and wait for the time when you will be able to hold the baby in your arms. It is the mother who carries the baby but the journey of nine months is equally shared by the father, grandparents, and others at home who wait eagerly for the arrival of the little one.
It might sound simple and convenient because globally every minute 250 babies are born. But there is another side of the coin as well. There are couples for whom conceiving is not a cakewalk.
What is Infertility?
The world might come crashing in case the gynecologist says you cannot conceive or you are infertile. This 11 letter word can turn your world upside down. Infertility can happen in man or woman and thus it is the condition in which the reproductive organs don’t function properly thus preventing the conception of the baby.
Reasons for infertility in women:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): It is a hormonal disorder that makes the menstrual cycles irregular because of the presence of small cysts on the edges of the ovaries thus making them enlarged and making it difficult to conceive.
- Endometriosis: When endometrium (the tissue which lines the inside of the uterus) grows outside the uterus like ovaries, behind the uterus or in fallopian tubes, the condition is called endometriosis and can result in painful menses, cramps during intercourse and infertility.
- STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) or unwanted growth in the reproductive organs: Gonorrhea, genital herpes, syphilis, and chlamydia are the most common tubal infections which if left untreated can cause damage to the fallopian tubes. These infection causes changes in the reproduction system and impacts the ability to get pregnant.
- Uterine or cervical issues: Cysts or fibroids are common in the uterus but if these block the fallopian tubes, getting pregnant will be difficult. If some damage has happened to the cervix or it doesn’t produce the mucus which gives the path for the sperm to travel to the uterus, conception might not happen.
- Tubal infertility: If the fallopian tubes are damaged because of pelvic inflammatory disease, surgery in the pelvis or pelvic tuberculosis then conception will be a challenge.
- Unhealthy body weight: Too high or too low BMI (body mass index) can pose as a hindrance in conceiving a child.
Reasons for Infertility in men:
- Low sperm count
- Swelling in the scrotum
- History of sexual problems.
- Problem in ejaculation
- Pain in testicles
If you are trying to have a baby from the last one year and you haven’t been able to, chances are you are infertile, but don’t panic as you are not alone. With medical science, having made tremendous progress in the recent past, IVF has come out as a suitable option for the couples who are craving to have a baby. You need to talk to an IVF specialist and solicit her advice so that reasons can be figured out, and treatment can begin at the earliest. You should get in touch with reputed IVF centers in India, such as Gaudium, to get a thorough checkup and further treatment.