Infertility problems in men and women have increased in recent times, and thus, IVF Treatment has been solicited by couples who have been willing to have a baby. Doctors generally recommend natural conception for women who are below the age of 35, but this by no means a generalization that females below the age of 35 cannot go for IVF Treatment.
Infertility Treatment has undergone a sea of revolution owing to the advancements in medical science. Artificial insemination, cloning, nuclear transfer, cytoplasmic transfer, and IVF are some of the methods by which couples can have babies apart from the natural process.
Amongst these treatments, IVF is the most reliable option. IVF treatment should be started if your partner suffers from the following:
- Low sperm count
- Early menopause
- Fallopian tube damage
- Genetic problem
Role of Age in IVF
Age plays a significant role in determining the success of IVF. Lower is the age; higher are the chances of a successful pregnancy.
- As per the ICMR bill for Assisted Reproductive Technology (Indian Council for Medical Research) 2017, the maximum age limit for women is 45 years, and for men, it is 50 years.
- Women in their 20’s and early 30’s have higher chances of success owing to the viability of eggs which help in fertilization. It has been found that of the 3, 00,000 eggs which a woman is born with, 12 % of them remain when she is 30, 9000 when is she 40 and post that the viability is thin.
- Pregnancy after 40 years is difficult because of deterioration in the quality and number of eggs. It can also be related to hormonal changes that women face.
- With the increase in age, the percentage of eggs having chromosomal disabilities increases, thus lowering the chances of a successful pregnancy.
- The cost of IVF treatment increases with the increase in age because the patient will be required to take repetitive IVF cycles.
- There are health risks associated with later pregnancy for the mother and the baby. Females are prone to diabetes, preeclampsia, and premature delivery if the pregnancy happens after the age of 40.
- Chances of miscarriage rise as age increases.
- With the increase in age, levels of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (estrogen) and Antimullerian Hormone are unfavorable which means that the ovarian reserve is less, and thus conception will be a challenge.
Having a baby will not be a far stretched dream if you go in the right direction.