The feeling of uneasiness and cramps which engulf you before and during menses is hard to bear, but cramps after IUI are sought after because it can be a signal of pregnancy. Something that you have been craving for all your life is about to come true and cramping after IUI needs to be dealt with care.
What are cramps?
Pain in the abdomen which is a result of involuntary muscle contraction before and during menses is termed as cramps.
Symptoms during cramps:
- Pain in the back and thighs
Cramps and Pregnancy
Some women experience cramps during the early stages of pregnancy, while for some it may last up to a few months. Talking to the doctor and seeking some mild medication in case of unbearable pain is always helpful.
Causes of Cramps after IUI
Intrauterine Insemination is a kind of fertility treatment in which sperms are injected in the uterus of the female to enable fertilization. Cramps after IUI are a common symptom, and the reasons behind the same can be:
- When the catheter passes through the cervix for the sperm to get injected in the uterus, mild cramping is common to be experienced by women. However, the moment the catheter is removed, the pain goes away.
- In some cases, cramps after IUI are the result of the irritation caused by the catheter in the uterus.
- Ovulation can be the reason behind cramps. If multiple follicles are ovulated because of induced ovulation, cramps during or after IUI can be experienced.
- Cramps after a few days of IUI are an indicator that either:
- Implantation has happened, and IUI has been successful or
- IUI Treatment didn’t result in pregnancy, and the cramps after IUI are the signal of periods.
How to mitigate cramps?
If you don’t feel much discomfort because of cramps after IUI, then you can carry on with your routine easily.
However, if you find some unusual pain, then the remedies you have taking for easing out menstrual pain can be applied in this case as well.
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Consult the doctor before taking any medication
You must avoid taking:
- Extremely hot bath
This is because foetal development can be hampered because of the rise in your body temperature.
When should a doctor be approached?
Cramping after embryo transfer is normal, and you need not worry much as it can be a signal of pregnancy. However, a doctor should be approached immediately if you have:
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
Waiting for cramps after IVF must have taken a toll on you, and the wait might have seemed like ages all together. The feelings are understandable, but before being too sure, it is advisable to consult the IVF specialist and proceed accordingly.