Cramps, mood swings, bloating, loss of appetite and botheration of changing sanitary napkins is a routine every month before a woman starts experiencing menopause signs.
What is menopause?
To put it simply, it is a pause to the menses. In other words, menopause is when a woman doesn’t get periods due to the depletion of ovarian oocytes after which a woman cannot conceive. In case a woman hasn’t menstruated for 12 months in a row, chances are she has reached menopause.
Menopausal age in India is somewhere between 45-55 years. This is not a general rule because women have reached menopause in the late 30s or early 40s or even 60s.
- Hot flushes and night sweats which is the result of low estrogen levels
- Mood swings and depression
- Difficulty in concentration
- Painful intercourse
- Dry vagina
- Changes in skin elasticity
- Urinary incontinence
- Bone loss
- Stiff joints
- Hair thinning
- Sore or tender breasts
Why does menopause occur?
With the increase in age, there is a loss of active ovarian follicles, and the body undergoes changes because of the changes in the levels of following hormones:
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone
- Luteinizing Hormone
Treatment of Menopause
Menopause symptoms are an indicator that you are about to reach the menopause. Menopause treatment is a mechanism that helps to comfort you during the transition phase and also assists you in preventing any problem which might occur due to age.
- Hormone Therapy: that levels of estrogen are given which helps in reducing hot flushes and the risks associated with menopause.
- Vaginal estrogen: To overcome the discomfort of vaginal dryness and painful intercourse, estrogen is administered in the vagina through a cream, ring or tablet.
- Fewer doses of anti-depressants: To cater to the changing mood swings and hot flushes, a low dosage of anti-depressants is given to women.
- Gabapentin: It is useful for seizures and for treatment of hot flushes in women who can’t take estrogen therapy.
- Clonidine: This medicine helps in reducing blood pressure and can give relief from hot flushes as well.
- Treatment of osteoporosis: Vitamin D supplements are given to women during menopause so that the risk of fracture is reduced.
Use the following home remedies for managing menopause:
- Stay cool and wear comfortable clothes.
- Exercise daily and maintain a healthy weight.
- Open up about what you feel. Don’t hide your emotions.
- Take supplements like vitamin D, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
- Practice yoga and meditate.
- Keep your skin hydrated.
- Introduce flax seeds, melatonin, vitamin E, and soy in your diet.
- Quit smoking and limit the use of alcohol.
Menopause is a phase that every woman goes through. Menopause symptoms should not be ignored, and if need be, talk to the doctor who can understand you and make this transition smooth.
Gaudium IVF Centre one of the best IVF centre in Delhi, India where patients can avail of end-to-end infertility solutions at low EMI cost. The clinic has a team of infertility experts and qualified embryologists to ensure the highest IVF success rate.
For an Appointment with Gynecologist & IVF Specialist, Call on +91 – 8527858585 / 011-48858585 or write a mail at email@example.com.