Is a missed periods sign of the good news coming your way? Well, that is what has always been perceived, and your periods are undoubtedly an indicator of whether you have conceived or not. But in some cases, missed periods might also mean missed pregnancy, and consulting the doctor is the most feasible solution so that the reason behind a missed period and negative pregnancy test can be found out.
What are the reasons behind the missed period?
There might be irregularity when you start with periods or when you end with it (menopause) but not somewhere in between until and unless you are pregnant. Missed period but negative results can be due to:
- Low hormone levels: Home pregnancy tests might not show the desired pink lines because when you are planning for pregnancy, the level of the pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin are not high, and thus you might think that though you have missed period yet pregnancy test is negative.
- Changes in weight: If there is lots of variation in your weight, chances are there is a high hormonal imbalance, which can result in missed periods.
- Stress levels: Being over-stressed about personal or professional life can have an adverse effect on your periods because reproductive hormones are controlled by the brain, which can prevent and thus result in a missed period.
- Excessive workout: If you are too lean or you have less body fat, and you exercise a lot, the chances are high that you might have missed periods.
- Abnormal production of prolactin: This hormone is produced when you are nursing your baby, and thus breastfeeding women have missed periods. But, in some cases, white discharge from the nipples when you are not breastfeeding means that there is something abnormal that needs to be treated, and missing periods is an indicator.
- PCOS: PCOS can result in hormonal imbalance and can be the reason behind a missed period and a negative pregnancy test. PCOS can cause:
- Missed periods or unpredictable flow during periods
- Sleep apnea
- Hair thinning
- Acne, dark patches on the skin
- Excessive hair growth on the face, thighs, and back.
- Perimenopause: You might enter menopause at an early age and might show the following symptoms:
- Hot flushes
- Irregularity in periods and flow during menses
- Mood swings with low sexual drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Obesity: Being overweight is not considered healthy especially if you trying to conceive. PCOS can be the reason behind being obese and missing a period but a negative pregnancy test.
- Birth control: Hormonal methods for birth control can cause missed periods because estrogen with progesterone is given for a specified time period and when it is withdrawn, a woman gets her menses. But at times, these hormones make the lining of the uterus very thin, which is not enough to result in periods. Thus talking to the doctor is advisable.
Keep track of your periods and its symptoms and if there is some variation, talk to the doctor and get the medication started.